Blue_Collage_logo.jpg(118133 bytes)

Click on each banner (graphic) below for more information

Go Back   Abaco Forum > Main Abaco Discussion Forum

Main Abaco Discussion Forum Abaco's BEST message board: travel, accomodations, bars/restaurants, activities, relaxing, the weather, answers to your questions, you name it, it's here.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:23 PM
Forum sponsor

Jim Cantore

Needs to ride one out here in the Abacos and give the weather channel a little fair and balanced perspective. I stand by my offer to lash him to my front porch.

Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamFamAustin View Post
Gosh I sure didn't mean to offend anyone - my angst was directed at the Weather Channel media blitz, not on the complicated mechanics of the storm when over North Carolina. They'll be writing books about how oddly Irene behaved there. The media did not seem to over-hype things in North Carolina, and was curiously silent on the Bahamas (thanks for the Elbow footage). I pray the reconstruction efforts proceed quickly, as it can be a very stressful time that people just don't know unless they've ridden out a few bad ones.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:32 PM
Forum sponsor

Well last I heard Vermont is in the NE & Irene sure as heck beat the cra* out of our state. Thirty % of our bridges sustained substantial damage; entire communities are completely cut off from food & medical supplies. It will take a long time for us to get back to normal. Just check out Hartford VT flooding on You-tube. I live in White River Junction VT and the White River went on a serious rampage. Loss of life would have been much higher if our local authorities hadn't taken the warnings seriously. I agree the hype as usual was way over the top, but it might have saved lives here so I'm being much quieter about the media than usual on this one.
Susan
Old 08-31-2011, 08:00 AM
Jersey Girl

I thought the same thing as Sammie until I saw footage on Long Island. They got hit bad with the flooding and it could have been worse. Also a local beach community. It took out some beachfront buildings and businesses that I did not see until I read it on a local paper. It was quite nasty there and lives were spared. I think the mayor of NY and Governor of NJ did a good job and kept a lot of people up here safe. Can not speak for VT except what I have read and am glad you and your hubby are safe as well as other VT people I know that are TC regulars.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:40 AM

Some stills of Cooperstown

Irene Still Photos - JackSlack's Photos | SmugMug