Blue_Collage_logo.jpg(118133 bytes)

Click on each banner (graphic) below for more information

Go Back   Abaco Forum > Main Abaco Discussion Forum

Main Abaco Discussion Forum Abaco's BEST message board: travel, accomodations, bars/restaurants, activities, relaxing, the weather, answers to your questions, you name it, it's here.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:50 AM

Sands Beer coming to Florida

Thursday article in the Tribune-oooooh...decisions, decisions

#By NEIL HARTNELL
#Tribune Business Editor
#nhartnell@tribunemedia.net
#The Bahamian Brewery & Beverage Company is targeting early 2013 to break into the Florida export market with its Sands beer, a move its founder anticipates will create another 10 jobs initially.
#Disclosing to Tribune Business that he had been forced to turn down “many, many requests” to supply his products to markets such as the US, Canada and Europe, Jimmy Sands said the Freeport-based company was looking to further expand its premises.
#“Since the initial build-out of the Brewery, we’ve made two additions to it in five years, which is quite remarkable,” he told Tribune Business, “and we have room to do some more.”
#Confirming that expansion plans were “in place” to facilitate the Bahamian Brewery & Beverage Company’s ambitions, Mr Sands added: “I’m now looking into the export side of things, but again I’m going to start off very small and build into it.
#“The initial export is going to be minimal, but I have to break the ice and get over there. We’ve been receiving requests from all markets of the world - Canada, the US and Europe - but initially it will be Florida.
#“We’ve had many, many requests, and had to turn them down because we were not in the position to do so. I’m hoping for the early part of next year to start Florida. It’s going to be very small, very minimal at first until we get feedback. This is a whole new game to us, and it will probably add another 10 jobs.”
#That would take Bahamian Brewery & Beverage Company’s workforce to around 70-75 persons, the company having already more than-quadrupled the initial 14 staff it took on when it opened in late 2007.
#Explaining that his immediate goal was to take Bahamian Brewery & Beverage Company to “solid profitability”, Mr Sands said he started the company to have something he could pass on to his four children.
#“One of the main reasons I did it was that I was in my late 40s when Butler & Sands was sold, and I was too young to sit back for the rest of my life, so decided to get back into the business and open something because of my children,” he revealed.
#Mr Sands added that he also wanted to prove that Bahamians could successfully manufacture and produce things, and go international, given that foreign firms seemed to be the only ones who felt they could win in this area.
#“These international groups coming into this country seem to receive all sorts of concessions, whereas Bahamians seem to be excluded or overlooked. I feel discriminated against - I’m a second class citizen in my own country,” he added.
#While Bahamian Brewery & Beverage Company had hit the sales forecasts and targets Mr Sands had set for the company over the past five years, manufacturing costs - especially energy - had taken him aback.
#“It has been difficult. It has been more difficult than I anticipated,” he told Tribune Business.
#“I knew I was up for a good run at it. What I didn’t expect was the overall production costs to be as high as they are. That has to do with energy, most of it. That was the disappointing part. I see the sales that I wanted to achieve, but the cost of production was higher than I anticipated.”
#Bahamian Brewery & Beverage Company’s new store and warehouse on Nassau Street is now being targeted for a pre-Christmas completion, and will take the company’s network of wholly-owned retail outlets to seven. It already has four stores in Nassau, one in Grand Bahama and another in Eleuthera.
#“I think we’ve done remarkably well considering it’s a private company, no international backing and all private label,” Mr Sands said. “We’ve done extremely well considering the big giant we’re up against.
#“I met my expectations, and we’ve achieved the initial numbers all the way up to date.”
Old 09-16-2012, 11:53 AM
Original Abacoholic

hmmm! First they import kalik gold-available at publix in the keys for 36-40/case. Now Sands? Now if we could just import the beaches & the water color !!!
Old 09-16-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazeboman View Post
hmmm! First they import kalik gold-available at publix in the keys for 36-40/case. Now Sands? Now if we could just import the beaches & the water color !!!
And the wonderful Bahamians
Old 09-17-2012, 12:54 PM

Kalik Gold

Gazeboman, I bet that Floridas Kalik Gold's alcohol content is cut back! Way too high to sell in the US without cutting it back. I thinks it's about 11% out on the Rock.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:35 PM

I think Kalik Gold is only 7% alcohol (14 proof). But since we can buy wine and liquor at Publix in Florida, 11% beer wouldn't be a problem. Take a look at the beers made by Cigar City Brewing in Tampa. They're mostly 8% or higher.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:58 PM
Senior Forum Oracle

Kalik - 7.0%
Sands - 5.2%
Lone Star - 4.7%

I drink Lone star which is about 75 cents a can, the national beer of Texas, similar in the style of a lager as Kalik and Sands. Rate Beer.com pans all three of them because they are beer snobs, but at that price Lone Star is a very cheap "lawnmower beer."

Kalik means $$$ and no lawn mowing for sure.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:59 PM
Veteran

Kalik vs Sands

Kalik Gold 7%
Kalik 5%
Sands 5.2%
Sands Light 4.2%
This is according to their web sites. As a side note, I'm going to the Nippers in Jacksonville Beach on Weds to have a Kalik or 2 and listen to some good local music. Any forum members in the area, stop by.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:46 PM
Original Abacoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by two rock reef View Post
Gazeboman, I bet that Floridas Kalik Gold's alcohol content is cut back! Way too high to sell in the US without cutting it back. I thinks it's about 11% out on the Rock.
Nope-same as the gold in abaco-7% only cheaper. I hope I never get pulled over on my Keys to Wisconsin trip-had 10 cases a couple weeks ago-they'll think I'm some kind of bootlegger?!
Old 09-17-2012, 05:34 PM

I have never found that much difference with any lager beer. It seems to be Maidson Ave. advertising that pushes one over another. Of course ambiance is a big factor with Kalik or Sands. But, the bottom line is that they are just average lager beers. I live in Florida and can remember about 30+ years ago that the craze was Coors beer before it was available east of the Rockies. Those traveling from Colorado back home would bring cases to tail gate parties with full bragging rights. Once it was readily available anywhere it was suddenly just another lager beer.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:40 PM
Senior Forum Oracle

I hear ya Island Fever. When in Rome, do as the Romans do. But have you ever had Iron City beer before? That's the national beer of Pittsburgh. Yikes that stuff is terrible.

There are too many styles of beer to get hung up on weak, watery American lagers which are meant for guzzling instead of tasting. Many of the Caribbean beers are similarly thin, skunky lagers like Corona from Mexico.

But ... you can't drink a lot of real beer or you'd be passed out and pickled after a few, especially when it is hot. That's why they make lawnmower beer!
Old 09-17-2012, 06:48 PM

I have not had the opportunity to try Iron City Beer, but I agree with you. I like to drink Does Equis Dark when I am eating Mexican food. Other than that Bud Light the most popular beer in the U.S. is fine with me. Years ago on "The Other Board" a real brewmaster from Germany got into a real description of what makes for a fine beer. I remember it was very interesting. He said the first and most important ingredient was water. He said "Lets face it the Bahamas does not have fine drinking water."
Old 09-17-2012, 07:19 PM
Forum Goodwill Ambassador

I remember my Dad laughing at Olympia Beer commercials back in the day. Their slogan was "It's the Water". He thought it was really funny because he loved Mexican beers (especially Bohemia, Mexicali and Modelo Especial) and you couldn't even drink the water in Mexico!

I went to college in Missouri (early 70's) and we would make the 120+ mile trip to Kansas City Kansas to pick up Coors. We'd drink it and then keep the cans so after we could fill them up with whatever beer we could get our hands on and look really cool at the parties! Well at least WE thought we looked cool! I know, pretty pathetic!

Tina
Old 09-17-2012, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGoose View Post
I remember my Dad laughing at Olympia Beer commercials back in the day. Their slogan was "It's the Water". He thought it was really funny because he loved Mexican beers (especially Bohemia, Mexicali and Modelo Especial) and you couldn't even drink the water in Mexico!

I went to college in Missouri (early 70's) and we would make the 120+ mile trip to Kansas City Kansas to pick up Coors. We'd drink it and then keep the cans so after we could fill them up with whatever beer we could get our hands on and look really cool at the parties! Well at least WE thought we looked cool! I know, pretty pathetic!

Tina
The "Stuff" we used to do. Very funny!
Old 09-17-2012, 07:47 PM
Administrator

I was stationed at Brooke Army Medical Center (San Antonio) in the summer of 1975. We kept hearing about Coors beer and how good it was, but the distributorship did not extend that far south. We finally drove north to a little town called Rainbow Falls, pulled into a convenience store that was basically a giant cooler for Coors. We bought a a case, kept it on ice, took it home, and I'll swear it was the best beer I've ever had. They told us it contained no preservatives, that was why it had to be refrigerated from the time it was produced. A few years later you could buy Coors anywhere, and it didn't seem the same. Who knows? I will say this, beer from a bottle always tastes better than beer from a can, and if you can get something like Heineken in a mini-keg, it is over the top.
"The Bahamas is one of the wealthiest Caribbean countries with an economy heavily dependent on tourism...Tourism together with tourism-driven construction and manufacturing accounts for approximately 60% of GDP and directly or indirectly employs half of the archipelago's labor force."
from US Central Intelligence Agency 2008 Factbook
Old 09-17-2012, 07:49 PM
Forum Sponsor

Send a message via Skype™ to Blue Moon Cottage
dr ralph I used to do work shops at brooke army base when I was a dive instructor with the decompression chamber.I worked out of San Marcos. did we meet? It was in the early 80's
Old 09-17-2012, 08:20 PM
Administrator

LOL, no Shae, I'm, um, a little older than you, I was there for a six-week clerkship in '75, than I moved back to school in NC. I think we missed.
"The Bahamas is one of the wealthiest Caribbean countries with an economy heavily dependent on tourism...Tourism together with tourism-driven construction and manufacturing accounts for approximately 60% of GDP and directly or indirectly employs half of the archipelago's labor force."
Old 09-17-2012, 08:33 PM
Original Abacoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandfever View Post
. I live in Florida and can remember about 30+ years ago that the craze was Coors beer before it was available east of the Rockies. .
Yup -brings back memories!!! I put myself thru college, well ok parents paid most but spending $ came from smuggling Coors to UW Madison for all the rich frat boys
Old 09-17-2012, 09:15 PM
Forum Sponsor

Send a message via Skype™ to Blue Moon Cottage
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRalph View Post
LOL, no Shae, I'm, um, a little older than you, I was there for a six-week clerkship in '75, than I moved back to school in NC. I think we missed.
yep .. I am just a baby.

maybe we will cross paths in HT soon. When are you back? and not to hijack thread but I am in Colorado and we used to ship cases of coors to our friends allover the US.. covered the boxes in brown paper , put newspaper between bottles and labeled the cases reading material to get discount rates at the Post office. Ah those were the days.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:49 PM

I guess I had an iron stomach or was just plain poor but the only beer I just poured down the drain rather than drink it was something called Ballentine Beer. How many remember PBR and the Friday Night Fights? That is sure to date you!
Old 09-17-2012, 10:47 PM
Senior Forum Oracle

Quote:
He said the first and most important ingredient was water
There's a little bit of Sammy in every ale I brew.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:39 PM
Forum Goodwill Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamFamAustin View Post
There's a little bit of Sammy in every ale I brew.
Huh?

Kinda reminds me of the joke:

Why do you have to pee so much when you drink beer?
Old 09-18-2012, 07:28 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Moon Cottage View Post
yep .. I am just a baby.

maybe we will cross paths in HT soon. When are you back? .
Probably not until next summer, too many other things happening with us right now.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:25 PM

enter the Sand Man
Old 09-18-2012, 05:17 PM
Veteran

Stay Thirsty My Friend
Old 09-18-2012, 06:58 PM
Senior Forum Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGoose View Post
Huh?

Kinda reminds me of the joke:

Why do you have to pee so much when you drink beer?
Yeah, good ole silly jokes. I was going to write about "making water" and decided that a one-liner would be more interesting. Good water is the key making good beer and brewers (and vintners) go to great lengths to try to fix up the water because to be honest, most water is unusable for making beer or wine. It can be full of sediment, chlorine, lime, algae, phosphoric acid (used to clean municipal water pipes), stinky sulfur compounds, trace toxics, and all kinds of bad actors. PatW even had tadpoles in her Guana Cay cistern! We actually settle a big tank of water for a few days and then cook it to sterilize the stuff, cool it, filter it, and condition it such as with Burton's Salts (of Samuel Smith and Fuller's fame). The amount of goo that comes out of water is really something.

Now you have water that is fairly clean but still has some mineral in it, You don't want pure R/O water because that would taste horrible and impart a metallic taste in the beer (you may have noticed this with certain beers). Us home brewers usually make 5 to 14 gallon batches and yes we do have to "make water" if we have any class. Ahem.

My best batches always came from rainwater collected during the middle of a thunderstorm, after a bit so the roof is washed off good. It can have some roof shingle gravel in it but that sinks to the bottom. We use "J" shaped racking canes to siphon the water without sucking the mud and gravel off the bottom. Thus the bottom 2-3 inches of water is always thrown out, even after the cool down stage that makes more mud.

Best beer? That would be an ale-mead that in my opinion is better than President Obama's honey ale recipe. I use a lot of honey, 8 or more pounds per 5 gallons, in addition to liquid malt extract (not the dry kind), steeping grains, hops, and so forth. With a very aggressive ale yeast and some champagne yeast for good measure, it comes out like sparkling wine more than a "wet" beer. Takes 40 days to fully ferment the honey so the beer doesn't taste sickly or cloyingly sweet. Caution: Sammy's beer-mead is about 8% alcohol or more. For a final finish I might put in a dose of raspberry extract just enough for a pink blush, especially for a wedding. Then I condition and force carbonate the stuff in a 5 gallon soda keg - the best ones were made by Dr. Pepper but nowadays soda syrup comes in plastic and cardboard boxes.

Now ya know what I mean. Like anything from making artisan bread to canning peaches, it's a work of love.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:24 PM

Sands Light in Florida??? Please, Please, Please???

Tags
beer, kalik, kalik gold, sands